Updated: Aug 17, 2022
Hey y’all! I am so excited to share my DIY affordable table setting! The downstairs area of our house has a very open concept, which I’m definitely not complaining about, but sometimes it can be hard to make sure it still feels cozy and doesn’t look empty. This is what inspired me to do a simple table setting to leave out as decor. Me and brett never eat at our dining room table, we always eat at the bar. So it makes sense for us during this time in our lives to leave a table setting up, but for some of you this may not be practical at all, in that case it is still a great idea for when you are hosting. Plus, I really wanted to display our mint Anthropologie dishes that I love so much! Napkin rings and charger plates can be really expensive, so this is an inexpensive way to get the same look. You will be surprised how affordable it was! Also, I have to give credit to my Dad and husband who built this beautiful table for me. At least i can say that i was the one who painted/stained it!
Here is what you will need:
1. Raw wood napkin rings (I found these at Michael’s for 99 cents each!)
2. Bag of rocks (Michael’s, i think the whole bag was like $3.00 and then i used a 50% off coupon!)
3. Whicker/Straw charger plates (Marshall’s $4.99 for a pack of 4)
4. Behr Premium Wood Stain Semi-transparent (MY FAVE! Home Depot, for less than $4.00)
5. Fabric Napkins (Marshall’s, they came in a pack of 12 for $3.99)
So i only spent around $20.00 for the whole project, because i already had the wood stain!
A lot of times you can’t even find a set of napkin rings for that cheap.
And that’s it! Now let’s get to what i did!
First thing I did was stain the napkin rings so they could be drying. I just took a regular paint brush and painted it on. The cool thing about this stain is that you can keep adding layers if you want it to get darker, or just put a thin layer if you want it to be lighter. This took all of about 3 minutes to do.
Next, I noticed that I didn’t really like the color of the charger plates, they were a little “yellow-y” and didn’t really match my stuff. So hey! The stain was sitting right there and i grabbed the paint brush and started painting it on. I couldn’t believe how much better they looked. I only painted one side of them to save on stain (because i use it so much).
Then just choose the rocks that you like best out of the bag and hot glue them onto the napkin rings.
Lay your charger plates out, then your dishes, pull your fabric napkins through the napkin rings and there you go! Super fast, super cute and super affordable table settings! And I learned from Fixer Upper which direction the napkins are supposed to lay on the plate. So if it looks wrong, Joanna said so! ha!
* Adding the rocks to the napkin rings is completely optional, if you are just looking for some everyday napkin rings but can’t find any that are affordable this is such an easy option! You could get creative with adding to the rings too! If you try something new please comment below with a picture! I would love to see!
** The decor in the center of the table and the table runner is all from Homegoods, which you will begin to see is where i get most of my stuff!